What is CrossFit?
Our program delivers a fitness that is, by design, broad, general, and inclusive. Our specialty is not specializing. Movements draw from gymnastics, Olympic weightlifting, strongman elements, single modality (running, rowing) and more.
CrossFit is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. CrossFit has used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. We scale load and intensity; we don’t change programs. The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree not kind. (Adapted from CrossFit, Inc.)
VCCF’s Five Values
- Our work inside the box should improve our lives outside the box We are here at VCCF to gain strength or improve endurance or prolong life or stay independent or have fun, NOT to make a living. This simply means that we want your hard work in the gym to improve life outside in some way. It could be physical strength, it could be mental toughness, it could be simply starting a conversation with someone who is new at work because you remember what it’s like to be the new person.
- Health is multifaceted We take a very holistic view of life. Our bodies are influenced by mental stress which affects our emotional reaction which affect our relationships which affect our nutritional choices, which turn around and influence our physical bodies again.We obviously focus on the physical side a lot, but we understand and respect the power the other aspects have.
- Embrace the challenge You WILL be challenged here; in physical ways, mental ways, emotional ways, relational ways. And that’s a great thing! Growth only happens through some sort of struggle. Just understand that things are not made challenging for the heck of it or for the fun “sweat angels” pictures on social media. We are looking for long term growth and progress. The challenges will look different every day but trust the process.We aim for long term sustainability, and we understand when things take time to learn. We want you to be part of our community forever, so you have the freedom to learn things at your own pace, in your own way, on your terms. The very act of learning has a tremendous amount of value. It’s all part of improving your life outside of the gym.
- Play is important Yes, we take our physical health and wellness seriously. But we also believe time available and societal permission to simply play (especially as adults) are severely lacking. So we include time for this at the box. Do something for fun and just to enjoy it. We want to give you the mental confidence and physical tools to pursue your heart’s desires: a round of golf, hunting deer, doing the “worm” at a wedding, gardening, giving piggy back rides to your kids, a girls night of karaoke…we want you to enjoy it all!
- Iron sharpens iron If we have successfully met the previous four values, then this is a community we can be proud of. We strive to be positive influences in your life. We will demonstrate these values daily and help you make connections with others who are doing the same thing. Our community will hold you accountable, celebrate your success, mourn with you in times of loss, and support you in your goals.
The importance of COMMUNITY
Pickerington is a place with deep roots, and that is revealed nearly every day when someone walks in and knows someone else from school, the dentist, a previous job, the neighborhood. We love seeing these community connections grow.
One thing to note: These connections are made across all lines – whether it’s age, gender, experience, industry, musical preference, background, or individual goals. We have all types here and that’s exactly how we like it! But with these values, we are a COMMUNITY.